Monday, October 20, 2008

What's next?

Well, we've been discussing financial futures (ours, not pigs or corn) lately. We are in the position to begin planning a home purchase, which means the actual buying won't take place for a year or so. But the planning begins now. We also have some needs to meet before then. We've got mostly hand-me-down or Ikea furniture, and a few things are beginning to show some serious wear. So, we've been looking for deals on bedroom sets (we get the new set, and pass our dresser on to AJ, whose is about to come undone) and dining sets. The chairs we bought for $20 at KMart before AJ was born are about to give way, too. No good pictures of dining sets yet, but here are some bedroom sets we like (tell me what you think!):


1)

















2)














3)


















4)


















However, with all of the economic upheaval lately, I also have been doing a lot of thinking about food storage and a year's supply, which we have, if only in syrup. And tuna. And maybe pickle relish. Hey, I stock up on staples whenever they're cheap. So, I was doing some looking around today, because I enjoy reading other blogs, even if i don't know the person in real life and I found this one: Safely Gathered In. It looks really helpful, so I may actually get started on some of the projects they're doing. Our emergency preparedness person in the ward has had out a couple of hand-driven wheat grinders, but I think I would like an electric one better. They're supposed to be able to grind about as good as commercial flour companies, which means I could save money and almost never run out of flour, like I did last night while making banana and zucchini muffins (mmm...).

5 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog today! Not that you know me from Adam, but I like #2 and #3 (though I'm not really fond of the hardware on them). Safely Gathered In is a pretty great resource, isn't it? We did our cardboard box oven for FHE tonight. Worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for #1. Absolutely beautiful.
    While I'm not Mormon, I'm seriously thinking of doing the year of food thing. With all the craziness in the economy right now, it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea, the economy. At least we have a VERY (not exaggerating) stable job. His isn't going anywhere.

    Elaine, I DO know you from Adam...you're definitely not my son! Besides, in blogworld it's less important whether we've known each other since 1st grade or three blog posts ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bethany,

    I like all of the bedroom sets. I am more for the dark wood, but the first one looks like there are grooves in the wood which would mean that the dust would collect easliy. I look at how easy can dust collect in the fancy design etc. I like head boards, but I also find they make it a little harder to make the beds, but I believe you have that with your old bed.

    I am glad that Aaron's job is so stable. I am glad that you will be able to buy a home for your family. That is always exciting.

    Grandma has some very nice furniture that you could have it you want it. Just let me know.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the top one #1. I really like the dark wood. Home ownership..... so fun...such a pain. Edgar has been takeing a carpentry class which I hope will pay off soon. because he has found plenty of flaws with the house. anyway good luck...TTFN

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you think! We love hearing your thoughts on our fun and crazy life!