Friday, April 3, 2009

Is It Real or Is It Monty Python?

A 549 day with nothing to do but wait for baseball season to start. Darn this extra long spring training. Well I thought many of you loyal readers would enjoy a little bit of truth that's stranger than fiction. Here, first read this article about a student in Britain arrested for turning in a lost cell phone to the police station.

Then read this expertly crafted reddit comment by user acegibson:

I think it's all a Monty Python sketch.

"I'd like to return this cell phone."

"Markenson's, two doors down, thank you."

"No, no. I didn't buy it, I found it."

"Best of luck getting a refund then, thank you. Good day."

"No, you don't seem to understand. I'm turning it in to you."

"If Markenson's won't give you a refund, why should we?"

"No! You're the police! I found this cell phone and I want to return it to its original owner."

"Oh, I see. Harry, have any of the boys reported a lost cell phone?"

"Don't think so, Grimm."

"Sorry, it's not ours. Perhaps someone at Markenson's lost it. Good day."

"Damn it all! I know who the owner is! I called them on this very phone! They're coming here

to collect it as we speak!"

"Why would they be coming here? We don't have it."

"Of course you don't, you git! I have it! It's right bleedin' here!"

(shows the officer the phone)

"So the owner of that phone..."

"Yes."

"is coming here..."

"Yes."

"to pick it up."

"Exactly!"

"And what, pray tell, are you doing with it?"

"I found it!!"

"Oh, did you?"

"Yes, I did."

"And how did you find it?"

"It was just laying there."

"Was it?"

"Yes."

"Alright, you're going to have to come with me, Mr. Findy Fingers."

"What for???"

"Are you or are you not the owner of that phone there in your hand?"

"I'm not!"

"So you admit it!"

"This is insane! I found it! It was just laying there!"

"That's what they all say. Come now, let's have a DNA sample."

"Oh, bollocks!"

"No, sir, we just swab your cheek. That's a good chap. Come along."

"This is ridiculous! I merely found this phone and turned it in out of a sense of civic duty! I

didn't expect a sort of Spanish Inquisition!

(looks at door)

"I said, 'I didn't expect a sort of Spanish Inquisition!'"

"Yes, we heard you, sir, didn't we, Harry?"

"Loud and clear, Grimm."

"But I thought..."

"Obviously."

"Then this isn't...?"

"Afraid not."

"I see."

"Quite."

"So you'll be wanting my DNA then?"

"There's a good chap. Has anyone ever told you you look like Michael Palin?"

"I get that a lot."

(The door opens. An Eric-Idle-looking fellow comes in.)

"Can I help you, sir?"

"Ah, yes, I'm here for a phone?"

"Markenson's, two doors down, thank you."



Wow, when I read that I was totally picturing Graham, Michael, Eric, John, Terrys J. and G. performing this in my television set. It would have been a classic sketch, but it's hard to compete with reality, and they didn't have cell phones in the 70's.


Here's a random St. Patty's day photo for you before I get back to goofing off.


6 comments:

  1. Wow, that is quite a story. It makes you wonder if you should do a good deed or not. Crazy.

    I love the picture of Levi. What a cutie.

    Do I dare ask if you received an answer to all of our prayers last weekend? You have my curiousity aroused.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gives new meaning to finders keepers doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even I could see the scene playing out, and I haven't exactly seen a lot of Monty! The pictures are wonderful--Levi's comments even more so. Perhaps the field of motivational speaking should be explored for him!
    Love you guys,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would make a good sketch. Sometimes the saying is true; "no good deed goes unpunished."

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my word! Lesson learned I guess . . . if I'm ever in GB I won't go to the police to do anything nice or good. It would make a perfect MP sketch though!

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you think! We love hearing your thoughts on our fun and crazy life!